Thursday 7 January 2016

Yoghurt Apple Cubes




There comes a time when you have plenty of free time, but you keep yourself so busy, it’s crazy. Between learning the art of decorating sugar cookies at the Art & Honey workshop and trying to organize a New Year’s Eve party I completely forgot that I had prepared a number of really yummy stuff for you lot. Actually, I haven’t forgotten, since I have meticulously been taking pictures of all of my food, but I guess every new project takes some getting used to. I am sincerely hoping that 2016 brings a lot more activity for me on this blog and the final decision if I should continue to write it in two languages or just one.

Speaking of my recipe idea today, you will be impressed. Now, this is the perfect quick treat. I know plenty of cannot wait to take a break from the holiday season.  However, while we are still in the leftovers of holiday spirit let’s make this simple yet very delicious treat.

My yoghurt apple cubes have been famous at my place for a while. Theirs is no ordinary recipe. It is one of those things written down somewhere in an old cookbook of hand-collected recipes through the years, in a corner of a page that has traces of sugar and who-knows-what from standing regularly on the kitchen counter. By itself, the recipe is almost unnoticeable. However, this is the stuff we dream of: a hidden little piece of heaven. A piece of heaven you find with every mouthful and you just can’t stop. Now, that makes for a different matter and as the holiday season comes to a close we should start thinking of ways to get eating healthier, but since it’s just the beginning of January, I guess we can still enjoy guilty pleasures.

Once again I want to point out that this is one of these recipes no using exact measures and that actually makes it altogether easier to make. Instead of measuring every single ingredient to the gram, for this one I use a 200ml glass which is my measure for all the ingredients. I hope some of you won’t find this tiresome, but the more we simplify the easier I am gonna get you lot cooking/baking, so it is worth a shot, especially when the original recipe is written in that manner anyway and no quality is lost with the method, plus, less dishes to wash!

Now, I have one last thing to add on yoghurt before writing the recipe. Yogurts tend to be different around the world, so different you wouldn’t believe it! The Turkish kefir is saltier than the yoghurt we have here in Serbia. The UK has sour cream, then there is the classis crème fraîche which is not a yoghurt as it has a thicker consistency than what we need for this recipe. My suggestion is to use thin consistency yoghurt, preferably the kind you can drink. Apparently, there are three basic types of yoghurt: Greek, Balkan and Swiss-style. However, none of this really matters to us right now (but if it does to you, here’s a nice link I found: http://www.legendairy.com.au/dairy-foods/dairy-products/yogurt). All you need to know is that the yoghurt needs to be of a drinking consistency, but if you can’t find that type I am pretty sure no other kind will ruin the cubes. Just don’t use any salted kind. Unless you like salted sweets, you never know… It’s all a matter of taste.




Yoghurt Apple Cubes


Difficulty: Easy
Time: prep 10 minutes; baking 20-30 minutes

Ingredients

4 medium-sized sour apples
2 eggs
2 glasses (200 ml) of yoghurt
2 same glasses sugar
2 ½ glasses plain flour
½ glass sunflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
Some powder sugar


Mix all ingredients except for the apples together. They should form a mix of medium thick consistency (similar to an American-style pancake mix). Line your medium sized-baking pan with a baking sheet and pour half of the mixture into it, setting the other half aside for a little later on. Bake the first half at 200°C (390°F) for 5-10 minutes or just until it is half-baked and the surface is no longer liquid. While your mixture is in the oven, grate the apples and drain from excessive juice (squeezing them with the palms of your hands will do the trick). Take your baking pan out of the oven and spread the apples equally over the half-baked dough. Once you have spread the apples add the rest of the mixture over the top and bake until golden brown (should take another 15-20 minutes). Once baked, cut into equal cubes and decorate with powder sugar.

No comments :

Post a Comment